Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Fix #14 From Stitch Fix - September 15, 2015

I am so happy it's September! That means Stitch Fix time, baby. It couldn't have arrived at a better time. Fall appears with a whallop here in Idaho. One day it's hot and summer and all swimming and camping...and then you wake up in September to temperatures in the high 50s and cold rain falling. What just happened? It can't be the end of summer yet...can it?

Yes, fellow Stitch Fix junkies, the end of summer has arrived.

However, end your weeping now, because the end of summer means fall fashion! Those shorts can get tucked away, and you can start hauling out those pants and sweaters and infinity scarves.

Did someone say infinity scarves???
This year I have reduced my Stitch Fix deliveries to one a quarter. I was looking forward to finding out what my stylist had picked out for me. Last month, I'd complained a bit to her about the lack of color in my box. I was hoping that she'd taken my complaint and turned it into a box of colored happiness.

But first, if you are a new visitor to my blog, and don't know anything about Stitch Fix, please go to my very first fix here:

Fix #1 - May 2014

It will explain what Stitch Fix is.

If you are still a new visitor, but you totally get what Stitch Fix is all about and just love reading Stitch Fix reviews, please contain your joy. I have a plethora of reviews you can read if you've got the time:

Fix #2 - June 2014
Fix #3 - July 2014
Fix #4 - August 2014
Fix #5 - September 2014
Fix #6 - October 1, 2014
Fix #7 - October 29, 2014
Fix #8 - November 2014
Fix #9 - December 2014 
Fix #10 - January 2015
Fix #11 - February 2015
Fix #12 - March 2015 
Fix #13 - June 2015

But let's get to business, shall we? What did I get in my one and only Fall 2015 Stitch Fix box? Did it light my soul on fire? Did I roll around on a pile of clothing and cackle like a maniac at my haul? Perhaps...

Let's review what I wanted to get in this box:
  • Bright colors
  • Cardigans
  • Long-sleeve or mid-sleeve length dresses.
I think that was the gist of my request. I've had the same stylist for about a year, and she's done a pretty great job of finding things that fit me and my style. So I don't direct her too much any more. The color bullet point was probably my biggest one.

So, my box arrived this morning, and I opened it up. Two separate wrapped stacks waited inside. Hard to tell what was in there. But I knew it was all clothing and no accessories just based on the size of the stacks.

Then, I took out everything and stacked it on my bed.
Okay. So there was a little bit of color in there....but I was really sad to see a lot of gray, black and white. I'd specifically said no more gray! Ugh. But, some very interesting patterns and nice materials...especially the item on the bottom of the pile. Could I be won over by fabulous fit and fantastic fabrics? Perhaps...

Then, I did my usual thing - hang everything up and then try on each item, one at a time. No looking at prices yet. Only trying things on and getting an honest feel for each piece before I make any decisions about what to keep. Come with me on a Fall Clothing Adventure, Stitch Fix-style.

1) The first item I tried on was the Ferra Dress from Kut From The Kloth for $54. When I hung this up, I couldn't tell if it was a tunic or a dress. There was some weird bunching going on around the bottom. I didn't feel so great about this one, just judging by the hanger look. Plus, it was sleeveless. What happened to my request for long- or mid-length sleeves?

Doesn't it look strange? I read the tag and saw that it was labeled as a 'dress,' so then my worry was that it might be too short. I've had that experience before with Stitch Fix. I don't like dresses to be more than a couple of inches above the knee. And since I'm tall (almost 5'10") a regular-length dress can look very different on me.

However, the motto I live by is "Try Everything On." I put it on.
And something magical occurred. The strange item on the hanger disappeared, and an awesome figure-flattering dress took its place. Holy crap! This was a 100% keeper!!!

The most interesting part about this dress is the way it is lined all the way from top to bottom. So you sort of have a built-in slip and body shaper. Then, the gathers all along the bottom of this dress....the ones that made it appear like a weird outfit from the discount pile on the hanger...created this instant problem-fixer. No lumps or bumps to be seen.

I also ended up liking the neutral pattern, which could be paired with a colorful sweater, jacket or cardigan. Lots of possibilities for this one.


Close up phot of material
2) Next on display was the Jordyn Bootcut Pant from Liverpool for $88. I was very excited to see this brand name. Last fall my stylist sent me a pair of black pants by Liverpool that I LOVE and wear all the time. I just knew these would be equally fabulous. And I liked that they were a bootcut style, which was different from my other pair.

Pants never look good on a hanger, but there they are. I also provided a close up photo, because they were an interesting heather gray. In other words, they weren't just different in cut from my black pants...they were different in color/pattern.

So, I was excited to try these on because of my love of my other Liverpool pants. I just knew they would be fabulous. And I was right...although my picture is pretty crummy...
The strange bump near my waist is really a reflection of my knee in the mirror. So your fears about me having a cancerous growth can be set aside. I just couldn't seem to get a good photo of these. But, trust me, they are really awesome pants! KEEP.

3) Next on the hanger was the Laurel Faux Leather Trim Draped Cardigan by RD Style for $74. This was the item on the bottom of my stack...and I was hoping it would fit because the knit for this cardigan is so, so soft!

Although I was unhappy with more gray in my box, I was pleased with the softness and the pretty drape of this cardigan. I had a feeling this was going to be a keeper (3 for 3? Oh my stars!). Let's give it a whirl and see how it fits, okay? I had the Liverpool pants on and a basic white tank, which was the perfect items to use for a try-on.

Front view is amazing.
 This was basically an instant fall-in-love-and-must-have kind of moment. But I always check the side view...don't want to look chubbo from the side, my friends. The cardigans I prefer need to show the figure a bit.
Okay, not the best photo with the blur factor, but side view is equally adorable, is it not??? This was an absolute KEEP.

4) The next in line was the Concord Striped Draped Pocket Cardigan from 41Hawthorn for $58. This was the one item that stuck out from the rest in the pile o' clothes because of its pretty bright blue stripes.
Yes, it was bright blue with GRAY, but I was willing to forgive. This cardigan was a stretchy fabric and not a knit. It had interesting draped pockets in front. Hmm...Let's try it on and see what we get!



I couldn't decide which was the better picture. The bottom one shows you the pocket/drape on the sides. The top pic has better lighting and is clearer. This was cute enough that it was going in the Very Very Likely YES, But Let's See If I Like Item Number Five First pile (I know, long pile name, but tells it like it is).

5) Last item to try on was the Lizzy Colorblock Striped Sweater by 41Hawthorn for $68. I liked the sweater when I hung it up...the material was very soft and fine, and I liked the navy blue with the orange stripes on the sleeves. I had a good feeling about this one.
I like a thinner sweater. One, because you can layer it. Two, because it fits under a jacket. Three, you don't feel like the Incredible Hulk. Number three is important to me. I survived the late 80s/early 90s chunky sweater disaster. Remember that, ladies of Generation X?
80s fashion disaster in the making

Imagine trying to shove those bulky sleeves into a jacket...Not happening. So, yeah, I like a finer gauge sweater. I can always layer a tank under it for more warmth in the winter. I was ready to try it on.
Well, hello there, sweater. You are looking good. I loved it, loved it, loved it. In fact, I wore this sweater the rest of the day. It was a cool fall day at my house, and this sweater was asking to be worn. A 100% KEEP item.

Which means...yes, I did it!  I am keeping five out of five this month, people!  What a triumph. Now that I am down to one box a quarter, it is even more satisfying when you keep the whole box.

I had a $25 credit from a friend who joined using my code (thank you, Lois!), so it was a double win for me.

One fun thing that happened with this fix...I got someone else's Style Cards. Kellie Taylor, if you are missing the right style cards for your fix, I would be more than happy to mail it to you. I do have your email address on the card, so I might try emailing you.

I contacted Stitch Fix to see if I could get my Style Card. I really need the help with styling my new clothes and finding fun ways to wear them. And, I also like to read the personal note sent by my stylist to see where her mind was when she was coordinating my fix. I sent an email to Stitch Fix's customer service. We'll see what they can do for me.

If you have yet to try Stitch Fix, would you be so kind as to use the link below to sign up? I will receive a $25 credit for your troubles. I would appreciate it very much.

Sign up for Stitch Fix!

Thanks again for stopping by. I hope you are enjoying my reviews!

UPDATE - September 17, 2015: I contacted Kellie via her email, and she was most polite and gracious. She told me that all I needed to do was give Stitch Fix the invoice number on my receipt, and they would email me my Style Card. I had already emailed Stitch Fix, but hadn't given them that info...so I did. I got my Style Card last night. w00t!  I'm glad I asked for it because my stylist had given me some very specific advice for wearing one of the cardigans with a previous top and the new pants. I never would've put that together in my head...Yay! Going to try her suggestion today and see how it goes. :-D







No comments:

Post a Comment