Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Letterpress - a game for word lovers

I just got back from a 10-day vacation to visit family. My sister, who plays Words with Friends with me quite regularly, announced she had bored of the Scrabble-like game after discovering Letterpress. She has had a rep in our family for skilled word slinging ever since beating my mother at Scrabble when she was 13.

At her encouragement, I downloaded the game to my phone.

I am not one who enjoys reading detailed instructions for games of this sort. I like to wing it and see if I can figure out how to play before I worry about the finer points of beating my opponent. I don't care if I lose multiple times because it is more about using my brain than beating someone. (although winning is a nice reward for using my brain...)

If you like words - the more complicated, the better - then you will love Letterpress. I won't describe how you play the game, because it takes a bit of time to catch on. In fact, I'm still catching on. The basic premise is that you spell the longest word you can in order to capture letters on the board. Once a word has been played, it cannot be played again. If you can add 'ed' or 's' or 'un' or  'in' or any number of suffixes and prefixes to a word that has been played, you can capture all those letters. So it helps to know lots of word building tricks.

Here is the link to their website:

http://www.atebits.com/letterpress/

I have an iPhone, so I am not sure if it is available for other smart phones.

You have no idea how addicting this game can be. A quote from my sister when she first showed me the game, "If you're wondering how many games you can have going at once, I found out. It's 50."

LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment